14 April 2011

Apple & Craisin Whole Wheat Muffins

So it turns out the muffins I experimented with last night turned out to be a success! I even gave some little miniature muffins to three of my friends, each having their own palate, in order to get more feedback on the muffin. While I wanted to try the recipe for whole wheat apple muffins from smitten kitchen, I just couldn't justify having a stick of butter and a cup of sugar go into my future breakfast treats. So my goal then was to make something that would be easy to grab on the go as breakfast, but that is equally nutritious as it is convenient. In truth, I did so by using a lot of whatever was in the kitchen (thus the craisins for some added sweetness), so feel free to continue making adjustments to the recipe!

Apple & Craisin Whole Wheat Muffins (based on Deborah Madison's basic buttermilk muffin recipe)

Yield: 12-15 muffins


Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c instant oatmeal
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/3 c buttermilk
  • 1/3 c fat free vanilla yogurt
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large apples, diced thinly
  • 1/4 c craisins
Equipment
  • spatula
  • large mixing bowl
  • small mixing bowl
  • muffin tin
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease muffin tin with method of choice (I sprayed my tin with an olive oil spray).
  2. Mix the dry ingredients together in the large mixing bowl.
  3. Add the liquid ingredients to the small mixing bowl and gently mix.
  4. Fold liquid ingredients into dry mixture.
  5. Fill tins to top with batter.
  6. Bake in muffins in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes.
  7. After 20 minutes has elapsed, move tin to the top rack for 5 additional minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are evenly golden brown and no longer jiggle when tin is moving.
  8. Remove from heat and turn out muffins.
I found these muffins to be incredibly moist (perhaps too moist?) but with great, almost nutty, texture as every bite is filled with tender muffin, small apple chunks, and the occasional craisin. In the future, I'd try this recipe again, but with less buttermilk and maybe even more oatmeal. (Taste testers, comments? Suggestions?) Overall, though, it was a success and kept me satiated at work for a good 4 hours!

1 comment:

  1. I am very impressed that you pulled these muffins off with hardly any fat, though I've always believed that buttermilk was a nearly magical ingredient that makes everything it touches taste delicious....good work!

    ReplyDelete