Apple & Craisin Whole Wheat Muffins (based on Deborah Madison's basic buttermilk muffin recipe)
Yield: 12-15 muffins
- 2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c instant oatmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 c buttermilk
- 1/3 c fat free vanilla yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large apples, diced thinly
- 1/4 c craisins
- large mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- muffin tin
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease muffin tin with method of choice (I sprayed my tin with an olive oil spray).
- Mix the dry ingredients together in the large mixing bowl.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the small mixing bowl and gently mix.
- Fold liquid ingredients into dry mixture.
- Fill tins to top with batter.
- Bake in muffins in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes has elapsed, move tin to the top rack for 5 additional minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are evenly golden brown and no longer jiggle when tin is moving.
- Remove from heat and turn out muffins.
I found these muffins to be incredibly moist (perhaps too moist?) but with great, almost nutty, texture as every bite is filled with tender muffin, small apple chunks, and the occasional craisin. In the future, I'd try this recipe again, but with less buttermilk and maybe even more oatmeal. (Taste testers, comments? Suggestions?) Overall, though, it was a success and kept me satiated at work for a good 4 hours!