Secret Ingredient Lasagna
(Based on TheKitchn)
- 1 box (or 1 lb.) of no boil lasagna noodles
- 1 and 1/2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 15-oz package of extra firm tofu
- 1 c part skim ricotta
- 2 c 2% shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 c shredded parmesan
- 1 15 oz jar of roasted pepper (I used in peppers that were stored in water and they still provided a ton of flavor!)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Large mixing bowl
- 9 x 13" baking dish or 7 x 11" AND 8 x 8" baking dishes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large mixing bowl, prepare to get messy! Using your hands, combine tofu, ricotta, and mozzarella with the paprika and nutmeg until all are well incorporated.
- Spray all sides of baking dish(es) with cooking spray. Line bottom of dish(es) with thin layer of pasta sauce.
- Place first layer of lasagna noodle directly on top of pasta sauce.
- On top of noodles, assemble thin layer of roasted red peppers.
- Create 1/4-1/3" layer of tofu and cheese mixture on top of the red peppers.
- Spread layer of pasta sauce over tofu and cheese mixture.
- Repeat steps 4-7 until pan is filled high and you have ended with a layer of noodles on top. Now spread final layer of pasta sauce and cover generously with parmesan cheese.
- Bake lasagna until cheese is at your desired consistency. It will take roughly 25-30 minutes to get the cheese bubbly and an additional ten minutes or so for the cheese to brown and begin to form a crust. If cheese begins to brown earlier and you are concerned, cover the pan loosely with foil and resume baking!
(Note: Picture of lasagna is to come! Also, please see the side toolbars to the left of this recipe for fun following and sharing options!)