18 November 2011

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Okay, this post is even more unexpected than the last. While I was a die hard omnivore as a child and known for my penchant for ham and chicken nuggets, those tendencies have since subsided and I have not consumed meat in years. I will, however, admit that meat can be mighty tasty, so occasionally I will make meat-based dishes for my lovely friends.

This here recipe is a classic. There is nothing special to it and it is extremely easy. I originally received the recipe from my cousin, but it appears as if this recipe is floating all over the internet. If you haven't stumbled upon it yet, (my omnivorous friends say) you're missing out! I particularly appreciate this recipe, because while it calls for grilled chicken breast, you can just as easily buy Purdue's Grilled Chicken Strips and use that, which cuts down on cooking and preparation time, as well as time that I have to spend handling the poultry, which currently gives me the heebie jeebies.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients
  • 2 8 oz. blocks of cream cheese (Reduced fat cream cheese is a nice option, because it's softer and easy to mix!)
  • 1 c ranch dressing
  • 1/2 c Frank's Red Hot
  • 2 c cooked (roasted or grilled) chicken breast, chopped into small bite sized pieces
  • 8 or 12 oz shredded cheese (I usually use either Colby Jack or sharp cheddar. I also go for 12 oz, because I'm a big fan of serving excessively cheesy dishes.)
  • garlic powder
  • paprika
  • cayenne pepper (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the cream cheese, ranch dressing, and hot sauce until well incorporated.
  3. Add the chopped chicken. Fold the chicken in so that it's coated evenly with sauce.
  4. Transfer mixture into a 9 x 13" pan. Smooth it out so that it forms an even layer.
  5. Once even, coat the top with garlic powder. (How much garlic powder depends on your preference, but I typically use a heavy hand, because I love garlic.) After adding the garlic powder, give a light dusting of paprika to the top of it. If your crowd likes things spicy, at this point add a dusting of cayenne pepper. This works much better than trying to up the amount of Frank's Red Hot, which can make the dip overly saucy, in both flavor and consistency, and not actually spicy enough.
  6. Top with cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is to your liking. Serve with your favorite dippers (celery sticks and blue corn chips are recommended).

No comments:

Post a Comment