02 March 2011

Black Beans with Tofu


Every Monday, without fail, I leave work ready to indulge in black bean and tofu burritos at a local restaurant that starts off the week with $5 all you can eat mini-burritos. Doesn't matter who I'm with or how long I have to wait for whatever friend(s) that can join me that week, Monday is black bean and tofu day. Now why it took until today for me to attempt making my own version, I do not know, but it certainly will not be the last. Mad Mex, I'm sorry, but you've met your match!

Black Beans with Tofu

15 oz can of black blacks, drained and rinsed
1/3 of a block of extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2" cubes
1/3 cup of diced onion
2 cups of baby spinach
2-3 tbs of plain fat free greek yogurt
1 1/2 tsp of vegetable oil
1 (okay, I used 2) tbs of minced garlic
cayenne pepper
cumin
salt
pepper

  1. Heat pan with oil at medium high heat for 5 minutes.
  2. Toss in cubed tofu. A good shake of the pan and flick of the rest should keep them hopping around without sticking until at least 3 of the 6 sides are golden brown.
  3. Add black beans, onion and garlic, and stir ingredients around.
  4. Flavor black bean and tofu mix to your liking. (I added about 1/2 tsp of cumin, a couple of hearty shakes of cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste.) After, stir in greek yogurt to give mixture some creaminess.
  5. Wilt baby spinach on top and then stir into the mixture.
Viola! A delicious and hearty dinner will have been created in about 15 minutes! I happened to serve it on a bed of the red curry quinoa I made last week and topped with a little extra sharp cheddar cheese, but it could be served as a side or all by itself, too!





No comments:

Post a Comment